Saturday, May 22, 2010

Ode to Steve

I swear Steve was letting me "pet" him through his plastic tank Thursday night. Sure he's had his ups and downs, floating near the bottom, loosing some fins around Christmastime, but he pulled through and persevered. I liked how he greeted me in the kitchen by swimming up close to where I was standing and the way his light gave off a warm glow. How was I to know that Steve was saying good-bye to me on Thursday? I feel quite guilty that I didn't linger at his tank a little longer.
Today Gregory and I buried Steve in our front garden out by my beautiful rose bush. Beforehand I had tried explaining the concept of death to the three year old by telling him that it's when your heart goes to Jesus and your body goes to sleep. Is it really that simple? I hope so.
After I stuck Steve in the ground, G. couldn't stop staring at his lifeless body, then he said, "Mommy, in heaven there is a great big swimming pool." Couldn't have phrased it better myself!


Our good friend Steve resided with us from March 2009-May 21, 2010.
He was a good fish.

No comments: